What is Mildew

Before we get into mould and mildew removal lets get to grips with what we’re dealing with. Mildew is essentially the visible result of an accumulation of mold – we see it as a thin layer of black, dark blue/green or sometimes white growth. Molds are simple plants belonging to the plant group known as fungi. There are several different kinds of mold that can cause mildew in your home. The molds that cause mildew in your home are so small that they are simply transported in the air waiting for the right conditions in which to thrive. Mold and mildew is known to cause two distinct problems in your home environment.  Firstly the appearance of mold is unsightly and can stain and destroy the furniture, fabrics, wallpaper or tiles that it has attached itself to.

Secondly molds can be hazardous to your health. There are a number of molds that are regarded as being toxic. These toxic molds produce mycotoxins capable of causing severe health problems. The most common molds, which are found indoors, are Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus.  Whilst these molds are toxic, they are relatively harmless in small quantities but, if left to spread or if a person with low immunity comes into contact with them, they can cause a range of medical conditions usually affecting the skin and the respiratory system.  The most common symptoms in those who are affected by mold are coughing, asthma, nasal congestion, sinusitis/rhinitis, skin rashes, and generalized fatigue.  In extreme cases these common molds can lead to pneumonia developing. The most toxic mold that can be found indoors is Stachybotrys, which has been linked to pulmonary hemorrhaging. It is important to note that serious medical conditions caused by molds are most prevalent in homes where sufferers are exposed to a mold problem that has been left to grow rampantly in the home over time, without being treated.

Most of the mildew caused by mold in your home will not result in such extreme health problems if you are quick with your mold mildew inspection and removal,  and practice good home hygiene to prevent it coming back.  The most common household moulds that cause mildew thrive in damp, dark, humid and airless conditions – this is why mildew is so often found in bathrooms or cellars, where there is often little natural light, a lot of water around and poor ventilation.   Treating and dealing with mild cases of mildew in the home is therefore relatively simple and can make a big difference to the quality of your home environment.

Now lets take a look at some mold and mildew removal products.