Mold and mildew problems are the bane of every house owner’s life – there’s nothing worse than seeing your beautifully refitted luxury bathroom come out in a bad rash of black spores that no amount of scrubbing will get rid of.
If you’ve got a problem with mold in your home, then this is the right website for you, we will show you how to remove mildew and get rid of that mildew smell. We’ve scoured the globe to find everything you need to know about mildew, exactly what is it and what causes it to thrive? How does mildew negatively affect your home environment, and what are the best ways and the best products available to use in the UK and the US for mold and mildew removal and how do you prevent mildew coming back.
So what exactly is it? Mildew is what we see as a thin layer of black, dark blue/green or white growth caused by molds which are simple plant species belonging to the group of plants known as fungi. The molds that produce mildew regenerate by releasing microscopic spores which simply drift around in the air, waiting for the right temperature and conditions to be present in order to grow. Usually these molds like the warm, dark, humid, airless nooks and crannies in your home but there are some molds that thrive in colder, drafty places. Apart from temperature and humidity levels, mold also needs something to feed on. The most common food stuff for household molds are natural materials such as cotton, silk, linen, wool, leather, wood, paper, and also a few manufactured materials such as grout or silicone sealant and the plastic used in shower curtains. As a result most homes are susceptible to an attack of mildew, and in particular in the rooms and spaces of a home that are damper and that don’t get much light or fresh air, such as the bathroom or the basement.
Is it hazardous? For the most part, common household mildew is not seriously hazardous, but in individuals that are more sensitive to certain molds or in situations where there is a high concentration of mold symptoms such as skin rashes, irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, headaches, fatigue and asthma can be triggered. In serious cases where individuals have an already compromised immune systems, molds such as apergillus fumigatus, for example, can cause aspergillosis in the lungs. Mold is also linked to “sick building syndrome”. The other negative affect of mildew in your home is that it is extremely unsightly, can stain products in your home and it is essentially eating away at the material to which it has attached itself. This is why mold and mildew removal is so important.
Solutions for Mold and Mildew Removal
So, what can you do about removing mildew in your home? You can start by trying to prevent mold settling in you home in the first place by keeping it clean, minimizing damp and keeping those areas susceptible to damp well ventilated. The natural abundance of water in the air can be countered by regularly heating the air in your home and then allowing the hot, dry air to escape from the home by simply opening the windows and you can also use dehumidifiers, moisture-absorbing silica gel or anhydrous calcium sulphate to help absorb excess water. You can also consider using commercial products specially developed to help prevent mildew growing, such as anti-mildew paint for woodwork, wax to protect leather products, and anti-mildew aerosol sprays for fabrics. Once mildew takes hold in your home, there are also a number of chlorine bleach mildew removers, cleaning methods that will help kill mildew and stop it spreading, and mildew stain removal products available. With careful research you will find the right mildew remover for your specific mildew problem.
So, there is plenty that can be done to prevent mildew growing in your home or to treat mildew if it does occur. As with all aspects of maintaining a healthy home, vigilance and cleanliness is key. And you only need to follow simple steps to ensure that you have the pleasant mildew free environment you deserve.